Breaking down cultural barriers
Transposer une culture dans une autre par delà les barrières culturelles

Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Daniel Varoujan - TO THE MUSE

How the strapping tiller grips
His curved plow, tears the soil's breast,
And under the avalanche of the sun's rays,
How bare furrows become fruitful,
 
How the ruddy wheat amasses
On the threshing floor and the millstones
Rumble, how the leavened dough overflows
The tub, and soon is baked in the rustic
Oven ever ablaze, and what joy, what creative
Vigor is spread by the Bread, the sacred Bread,
Teach me -- O, Muse of my forebears,
 
Teach me -- crown my lyre with husks,
As I sit on the threshing floor, in the cool shade
Of the willow, giving birth to my songs.
 
 
Daniel Varoujan
Translated by Tatul Sonentz

No comments:

Post a Comment