Breaking down cultural barriers
Transposer une culture dans une autre par delà les barrières culturelles

Sunday, 2 February 2014

Yeghishe Charents - THE RAINBOW


1.
Maiden of shaded light, with Madonna’s eyes,
Tubercular, transparent, embodiment of dreams,
Blue maiden, soul-enticing as milk and agate,
Oh, maiden, made of light and shade…
 
What must I do, what -- to foil my soul’s demise?
Not to let the light of my soul go out in your agate eyes?
What must I do so that the rainbow of three colors
Does not disperse and fade in a far corner of my soul…? 
 
Oh, maiden of shaded light, with Madonna’s eyes,
Tubercular, transparent, embodiment of dreams,
Blue maiden, soul-enticing as milk and agate,
Oh, maiden, shaped by light and shade…
 
 
2.
 
There are three colors in your trancelike land –
Three colors.
Translucent are those colors in your land –
In your soul.
 
You are smiling -- in your luminous eyes
Three glimmers –
As your distant future soars ablaze –
Oh, blue maiden.
 
I see your sky-scraping castles far way,
Your majestic domes.
And I recall a golden fire-flower meteor,
That streaked down yesterday.
 
And I hear in the evening haze,
Serene after the rains,
The twilight bells cackle
And call.
 
And I see over your meadows, lakes,
On your land of light –
Now descends an immaculate,
Untainted blue.
 
And I see in the cerulean sundown,
Blazing yet again –
The gold of the rousing crosses
Of your towering domes…
 
And all at once, like a dream, your land
Pervades my soul --
Your lucid country – a misty sunset
In your gaze…
 
3.
 
Three sparks, three hues, three colors,
That passed on – sister mine,
Having  traced -- in your eyes, in my soul –
A rainbow.
 
 
Yeghishe Charents
 Translated by Tatul Sonentz

No comments:

Post a Comment