Breaking down cultural barriers
Transposer une culture dans une autre par delà les barrières culturelles

Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Mushegh Ishkhan - TWELVE YEARS LATER…

Twelve years later, full grown,
heart racing, I enter our old school,
where the first light of letters
shone on me,
where my entire childhood
struggled and dreamed.

Twelve years later, all is the same…
There’s my well worn desk,
bearing traces of my digits.
There, the trees in the yard,
often used as our perch,
and our big old bell, calling us to class…

Where are you, dear faces,
sweet comrades of old?–
Around me is desert now, no one
knows me here,
now, strange, indifferent
children prance around here.

School of my hay days how sad
you seem now…
Seems the somber squall of death
has blasted through here.
Seems I have come to visit the hoary
crypt of my past…


Mushegh Ishkhan
translated by Tatul Sonentz

No comments:

Post a Comment