Breaking down cultural barriers
Transposer une culture dans une autre par delà les barrières culturelles

Thursday, 12 December 2013

Vahagn Davtyan - IT SEEMS

It seems, at one time, I was mere dust,
Since a sublime thirst still hounds my guts,
Rain pours down in shiny sapphire streams
Wishing to wash and kneel at our fonts.
Indeed, it seems I was grime at one time,
As I know, like soot itself, that dim secret
Of how, from the anguish of dark debris
Rose the red and azure miracle of flowers.
It seems, also at one time, I was a bird,
Since the blue yonder beckons me no end,
Since in my deep dreams I soar weightless
And feel a dull flapping of wings at my ribs.
Indeed, at one time, I was a soaring bird
And, to this day, cries in me the lofty blue,
While in my back and arms lingers an ache,
Like the persistent pain of severed wings…

 Vahagn Davtyan
Translated by Tatul Sonentz

No comments:

Post a Comment