In the
marble palace of the enchanted Dream,
Where
star-studded chandeliers blaze, raining light,
I am a
potentate of Eastern opulence tonight,
And I
have a throne, treasures, and fair-haired women,
On my settee, covered with many a leopard skin,
My head
resting on my wrist, and dazed with delight,
Reclining,
I gaze at a voluptuous Circassian maiden
Dancing
in front of me, on the pearl-laden rug.
From her fragrant hair and body surges in waves
An
endless sea of ecstasy, where I love to
swim.
swim.
I have
donned my majestic white garments
Woven
with the opalescent tears of a thousand stars,
I have
wound around my head my snow-white diadem,
Burdensome
as my glory, versatile as my brilliance,
In my hand, weighed down
with diamond rings,
I nudge
the large glittering amber of my worry beads,
My silk handkerchief and my
gold-embroidered slippers
Have
fallen slipshod off my feet on the saffron-hued rug,
While at
my side is placed, glowing, gurgling,
The
massive goblet of wine which, as if by magic,
Shimmers
in front of me like newly shed blood.
But my
pupils, thirsty of carnal colors and shapes,
Euphoric like those of a prophet in pious prayer,
Have
submerged deep into the soaring maelstrom
Of the
dark-eyed, amber-hued Circassian maiden,
Who
dances on, and keeps dancing on for me…
Her
movements are often languid, her figure, similar
To a
reed in the wind, a melody of aroma and spume,
She
sometimes taps her feet with such fervor,
She
becomes a fierce flame, sputtering in a storm.
Oh, she
is the magus of the mold and motion of flesh,
She is able to
pour from myriad glances and swaying
Body, a
flood of feminine lures and lustful longing,
Surging
unbridled in front of me, like frothing seas.
And she
dances, she dances, ensnared in a vortex,
As her
brow sparkles with drops of pearly sweat,
Her
sorcerer’s regal figure, veiled by her long tresses,
Shimmers
disturbed like a willow’s image in a lagoon.
She
leans way backward and then back to forward,
Turning
from supple rosebush into solid poplar,
And, a
stunning leap seems to shatter like crystal
and
pulverize the spine beneath her splendid waist,
Then,
with a faint amendment of her dispersed body,
She swiftly rearranges a resurgent harmony.
The
pearl-studded slippers that fashion her feet
Seem
hardly to pat the patterns on the carpet
And her
singular flamboyance spawns a mighty storm
That
sometimes douses and sometimes sets off
Blue
flashes from the gems hanging from her ears,
And
festive fireworks from all the jewels she wears.
And she
dances, she dances -- she dances in frenzy,
Ever
compliant to the counsel of my depravity.
Impetuous,
she discards overhead her gossamer veil,
Laying
bare both her breasts and her swan neck,
As well as her blessed belly and her sealed navel,
As stand
exposed her stout thighs and all covert parts --
All the
mysteries of the flesh and its awkward forms
That the
ultimate effort of the Creator has fashioned.
When
with her own eyes she sees her crystal nudity,
She
feels shame of the lavish display of her charms
And she
gives a mighty shake to her storm-tossed hair
The wind
of which rushes to put out the flicker
Of the
diamond torches and the ceiling lights of resin
Of that
marble palace of the enchanted Dream.
Oh, magnificent nudity! Nymph of pubescent chastity,
Missing
like a mystery in the depths of darkness…
Then, I
bound, parched with the thirst of my passions,
And let
my hoary diadem fall and dissipate at my feet.
Groping
my way in the darkness, I find the Circassian,
Guided
by the throbbing breath of her sublime chest.
Then,
seizing her sweat covered wrist, I set her
Upon my
settee, covered with many a leopard skin.
Oh, that
lovely, tender body, radiating with light,
Spuming
in my arms like milk and like blood!
Oh,
those surging tresses, in which I sink and swim,
Always
facing the danger of drowning in their waves!
Oh, the
ardent heat of those mother-of-pearl arms
With
which she encircles tight my neck, like a snake!
Finally,
we become one in the embrace of an intense kiss,
As I
suck, holding her crimson lips captive in my mouth,
And I
drain her veins for hours, without haste,
Only
then, it seems to me, I would have, at my pace,
Tasted
the entire breadth of delights of pagan times --
The
spices of India, and all the incense of Arabia.
……
Daniel Varoujan
Translated by Tatul Sonentz
No comments:
Post a Comment